[FoRK] Concrete results

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Jun 16 04:50:08 PDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 03:08:33PM -0700, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
> We could do so much better than simply bolting on a (literally)
> ancient recipe.

Yes, see geopolymers.

> Why aren't the concrete manufacturers trying to innovate based on
> modern experiments instead of looking back at the ancients?

Because energy is still too cheap. Fracking methane will be
largely over by 2020, so expect renewed interest in low-energy
geopolymers then.

> I guess not every industry yet is information-driven. Oil is, of
> course, but evidently concrete is not.

Oil is not really information-driven, the peak 2006 has hit them
cold. Peak total fossil and total nuclear fissible is 2020, almost
nobody is aware of that yet.

Net energy cliff only started in earnest about 2012. Chances are,
2020 could be the sentinel event to the Fun of 2050.