[FoRK] Concrete results

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Jun 16 05:08:39 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 07:57:49AM -0400, Bill Kearney wrote:
> Sounds great but the old methods benefited from not having cheap
> energy. What's to say modern experiments aren't likewise being
> hindered by assumptions about available energy?

Precisely. Cheap methane and short-term thinking work against
you here.

> And it would appear that now, thanks to this effort, this is more
> information to drive innovation.

Much more interesting to look into minimizing amounts of
concrete required. Ditto asphalt. Teleoperation can be
extremely disruptive there. A large amount of infrastructure
will need to be abandoned, anyway, we can plan for it, and
make sure we hurt the least.