[FoRK] exactly how much privacy should we have?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Jun 16 05:53:59 PDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 08:44:23PM -0700, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> All I can say is... with 20 MEELION dollarz at stake... you can bet

Does anyone have any idea what the total budget of all spooks
and sundry ghosts in the US is? It has to be considerable part of the
GDP, but probably in low single digits.

> that every internet company is willing to piss all over their good
> will to get a cut of that enormous pie. Can you imagine what, say,

It costs a lot less to pass a few secret laws or fund a few
high-profile litigations which put CEOs in jail for a long time.
The customers will cheerfully pay for their own surveillance,
at times outrageous sumes, out of their own pocket.