[FoRK] Concrete results

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jun 17 04:20:20 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 02:03:10PM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:

> >As for nuclear, that assumption would only be true if we won't turn to breeder reactors if/when we need to.
>
> Thorium, as previously noted, is essentially unlimited for use in reactors that consume radioactive waste.

Alternative fuelcycle breeders have never been validated
in the operation aspects nor in the breeding (using neutrons
from the thorium fuel cycle, Oak Ridge used uranium
cycle neutrons for breeding) aspect.

They might or might not work. It will take about 20-30 years
to figure that out. So, they're entirely irrelevant.

In 20-30 years the problem is either already solved by
scaling up renewable (we're a factor of 100 falling short
on the deployment rate, currently) or we'll
preoccupied with uranium fuel cycle radionuclides.
Of the airborne variety.