[FoRK] Concrete results

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon Jun 17 06:15:05 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 01:22:02PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Notice that R&D is still not happening in MSR land, so obviously
> people are not putting their money where their (quite loud)
> mouth is. Either way, it's too late now.

If it helps, I'll note that molten salt has also been a popular panacea in
solar energy, with a similarly bright future, for the past few decades.

Unfortunately, most molten salts are really quite corrosive, which has made
long-term operation pretty difficult.  It's hard to find alloys with the
needed combination of high-temperature strength and corrosion resistance.

Add nuclear embrittlement and the general hassle of maintaining nuclear
generation equipment and you have a pretty little problem.

Regards,
  Aaron