[FoRK] Dr. Ron Paul and his pitch concerning the new National ID system.

Noon Silk noonslists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 06:29:18 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Damien Morton <dmorton at bitfurnace.com>wrote:

> Australia has no "national ID" system, unless it has introduced one
> recently and I missed it.

I guess there's some technical meaning here I don't get?

My point was there's nothing wrong, and probably many things good, about
being able to identitfy specific citizens by way of some formal system (tax
file number, etc). The real concern should be the way in which data is
gathered, anonymised and used. But maybe people don't think it's a good
idea to trust the government to such a job, so then they claim such a thing
should never exist. Seems pretty unreasonable, long term, to me.

On the other hand, I could see a much larger and more rational argument
about the matter.

Note that the lack of a National ID system is hardly an impediment to