[FoRK] Dr. Ron Paul and his pitch concerning the new National ID system.

mdw at martinwills.com mdw at martinwills.com
Mon Jun 17 06:46:25 PDT 2013

> The argument is IMHO quite bad. Almost every country has a National ID in
> the form of drivers license and/or passport. It is hardly tyrannical.

1) Ron Paul is talking about the U.S. only. We are not every other country.
2) The U.S. political system is two-tiered (enforced by the 10th
Amendment).  The individual states have their sovereignty and the Federal
government has it's sovereignty.  You have two separate Constitutions
(State, Federal) as well as two separate executive, judicial, and
legislative branches (State, Federal).

The states are solely responsible for driver's licenses.  The U.S.
Government is solely responsible for passports. The requirement for a
National ID  chips away (as been the subject lately) at the liberties of
state citizens (the 10th amendment).

Until a series of U.S. Supreme Court cases after the 1860's ratification
of the 14th amendment, the U.S. Bill of Rights were not recognized by the
States.  As of today the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th amendments of the
U.S. Bill of Rights are enforced upon the states by the U.S. Supreme Court
decisions. The remaining amendments may or MAY NOT be recognized in the
individual states constitutions.

The argument being made is the U.S. Government trying to enforce a
national ID is a tyrannical move since the U.S. Government is overreaching
and trying to chip away at the liberties protected by the 10th Amendment.
The citizens of each state is a citizen of that state.  The citizens of
California should not dictate laws that the citizens of South Carolina do
not want.

In the issue at hand, several large states through their legislative
representatives with political clout, are trying to push their states
agenda on other states that don't want to have anything to do with it.
That is move towards tyranny (Merriam-Webster dictionary - 'tyranny:a
government in which absolute power is vested in a single ruler') plain and
simple.