[FoRK] why the nuclear energy industry is dying

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jun 18 12:40:18 PDT 2013

On 6/18/13 11:34 AM, mdw at martinwills.com wrote:
>> On 6/18/13 8:34 AM, mdw at martinwills.com wrote:
>>> Personally I am ambivalent over nuclear power generation, all of the
>>> energy production methods suggested by the author contains cost
>>> statements
>>> that don't properly account for all of the costs of any of the power
>>> generation solutions cited.
>> Additionally, costs under the current regime are treated like facts of
>> nature when they are the result of lack of innovation and
>> over-striving for zero risk, far less risk in many aspects than
>> alternatives like oil, coal, and natural gas.  There's no reason
>> that decommissioning a nuclear plant has to cost billions of dollars.
> The primary reason for the enormous cost is because the primary reactor
> components are irradiated.  They will be irradiated for 10's of centuries.
>   The radiation is so dangerous it will kill animals (including humans) if
> exposed for a short period of time (talking minutes).  So disposing of
> these heavy metals require cutting, decontamination, transportation and
> disposal in geographically stable areas for several millenia.  The cutting
> of the materials creates particulates that are irradiated and can be
> carried away or washed away.  The concrete enclosures also contain steel
> reinforcements that are irradiated and need to be cut, transported and
> disposed of.  Your typical Light Water Reactor (LWR) covers acres of land
> and the containment buildings are the size of large office buildings.
> These structures cannot last a century without constant maintenance and
> therefore are cheaper to dismantle and dispose.

Yes, I vaguely know all of this.  The traditional designs and methods are annoyingly short-sighted.  But imagine that the plant
components are more modular, are on sleds that can be picked up and transported.  Imagine a processing plant / factory that, within
yet another containment mechanism, grinds up and reprocesses the steel, a radioactive foundry, etc.?  The fact that it's brittle
makes it easier.  All difficult problems, but throw a few billion my way and I could make it happen.  And then you have a scalable
solution that doesn't take a few billion every time.  But, no one seems to be thinking that far outside the box.

>> First, poor design.  Second, there are simple ways to
>> optimize that down to thousands, if that's the problem: Put the plant at
>> the bottom of a bedrock carve out with no water table
> All current US nuclear power plants are LWR and are ALWAYS placed near
> large bodies of water for steam turbines (water) and emergency cooling
> purposes (water). 90% of the worlds population lives near water sources
> and therefore the nuclear generated power is kept local to keep costs low.

As observed in Japan (and the Gulf for that matter), contamination of the ocean itself is less of an issue:  it is too big to stay
concentrated for long.  Shores are another issue, but the ocean itself dissipates most things nicely apparently.

A power or processing plant in deep water is still dangerous, but less permanently.