[FoRK] what the hell, facebook

Noon Silk noonslists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 00:51:03 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Bill Humphries <whump at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2013, at 10:32 PM, Reza B'Far (Oracle) <reza.bfar at oracle.com>
> wrote:
>
> > FWIW - Google employees commenting on Facebook is as impartial as
> Facebook employees commenting on Google.  May be we can make a static A.I.
> rule for the open world massive all-knowing A.I. engine Google will build?
> :)
>
> Look I'm just waiting for both companies to go screaming into the void as
> as the revenue from even the most well 'targeted' ad collapses to zero and
> everyone has to remember how to make things that people want to pay money
> for.

I think if Eugen is to be believed the human race will become extinct
before these companies go out of business.

It's not exactly obvious how to completely remove ads from society (without
legislation). Would the world be better with optimal targetted ads? (Is
such a thing even possible? I.e. everything that is advertised to you buy,
essentially.)

--
Noon Silk