[FoRK] what the hell, facebook

Noon Silk noonslists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 01:49:41 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 05:51:03PM +1000, Noon Silk wrote:
>
> > I think if Eugen is to be believed the human race will become extinct
> > before these companies go out of business.
>
> The human race will outlast the cockroaches. The question is whether
> the remaining population will much enjoy it.
>
> I certainly do not look forward to recurrance of mass starvations in
> some developing countries by 2030. Do you?

I wasn't entirely joking in my response ..., certainly I don't exactly
disagree with your arguments (or to put it another way, in the arguments I
see going on, your opinion seems to be (in general) the most reasonable
one; which isn't to say it's definitely correct; I can't comment on that.)

>  > It's not exactly obvious how to completely remove ads from society
> (without
> > legislation). Would the world be better with optimal targetted ads? (Is
> > such a thing even possible? I.e. everything that is advertised to you
> buy,
> > essentially.)

Noon Silk