[FoRK] what the hell, facebook

Noon Silk noonslists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 02:06:00 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Or, I'm just obviously and hopelessly arrogant.  You know what I always
> say at this point: Don't confuse arrogance with chronic correctness.  Of
> course, you only get to that point by trying many incorrect paths, at which
> point you then are an authority on how not to do things.  Probably more
> valuable than immediate success. Just a recapitulation of Edison's 5%
> inspiration maxim.  But, you know, all those long nights knocking my head
> against the keyboard to solve often dumb problems that I created have just
> made me arrogant.  Is it arrogant to have confidence that, given enough
> time, I can plow through most problems to success, having done it a few
> times?  I don't think that word means what you think it means.  Am I going
> to keep razzing Google about these two questionable calls (one of them
> illegal) until they some-day give me an offer I can't refuse?  Probably;
> I'm unrequited.  They're big boys and girls, they can take it.

[...]

IMO, this is immediately identifiable as arrogance in that it doesn't allow
for the position that the person assuming you are arrogant knows this,
instead the tone assumes you are the only one too know and is condescending
in its presentation.

Which is not to say that I have a major problem with people who are
arrogant, or am not arrogant myself, at times.

It's noticable, though, because I work with at least two very smart people,
one who is arrogant, and one who isn't, and the one who isn't is much nicer
to be around (indeed, I'd like to be more like that guy.)

-- (somewhat arrogantly,)
Noon Silk