[FoRK] what the hell, facebook

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jun 19 23:21:22 PDT 2013

> Regarding the word "arrogance"...
>
> Gosh, Stephen, you remind me of... me.

I'm flattered!

> A college acquaintance (not even a friend) called me "narrow minded" and I was pissed off and defensive about that for years.
> Everyone I knew was just totally sick of hearing about it.
>
> May I share a bit of wisdom from The Simpsons?
>
> "Look, Bart, sometimes dogs or people hate you for no reason."

One of our cats has taken years to warm up to me enough to let me pet his head, sometimes, if there's food involved and he can't
help it.  And he doesn't give me full claws when he attacks anymore. He's about 38" toe to toe, but with body perception / sensing
issues.

Yes, I know, probably hit my anti-loop and just skipped my 6-month retry.
I don't care about that instance really, it just happens to be a surprisingly difficult thing to definitively disprove, even to
myself, as it is subjective in a relative and capricious way.  The arrogance thing anyway.  It's easy to prove that I'm not "old".  ;-)

With "narrow minded", at least you can point to milestones and waypoints.  "Would someone narrow minded do _this_??"

The interview I really flubbed was with Powerset at the beginning where my buddy was an original founder.  That's a painful memory
because it was purely a misspoken sentiment that one interviewer seized on, not having interviewed for 8 years, not maintaining my
comfort level, and blowing my concentration by running too hard on SF hills earlier that morning.  I like to make all of my mistakes
at once when I can.  Then, a little while later, Powerset became Bing. I console myself with another successful avoidance of working
for Microsoft.  ;-)