[FoRK] what the hell, facebook

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Thu Jun 20 04:05:00 PDT 2013

> The distribution of arrogance skews to youth, don't you think?
FWIW, I don't happen to think that, no.

I see arrogance as a way of being.  Those who are arrogant young,
typically remain arrogant old -- with the occasional exception due to
deep self-examination (or more accurately, near-death experiences,
overwhelming losses, or other catastrophic events that compel it).  I
doubt arrogance decreases much with age, just as I doubt it increases
much with age.

> Except for the onset of senility, I would think that most of those
> older have enough perspective to seldom be very arrogant.
Perhaps, if they've been sufficiently humbled by circumstance, as above,
or through brutal repetition of grievances by those suffering the
arrogance.

By definition, though, the truly arrogant never "hear" that ;-)

I question the relevance of explaining arrogance in terms of internal
motivation or substance.  I submit that the ~only~ relevant definition
is that of an observer.

Few people would ever meaningfully self-define as arrogant -- much less
those who actually are!

As usual, etymology means little in the face of common usage.  However,
as always, etymology provides some insight into the function of a word.

I recast the definitions entirely, to make a point.

Rogation:    Praying; flat out asking.

Interrogation:  Interactively asking.

Prerogative:  Privilege without asking.

Surrogate:  One who needn't ask.

Superogative:  Not answering (a need).

"Derogatory" and "arrogant" are left as exercises for the reader ;-)

GS