[FoRK] what the hell, facebook

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jun 20 09:42:55 PDT 2013

On 6/20/13 6:13 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 04:28:44PM -0700, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
>> Hey Steve,
>>
>> I just checked and we still aren't hiring any old arrogant people.
> Why would old arrogant (=capable) people want to apply @Borgcube?

The potential power of amplifying your ideas by projecting onto a very capable infrastructure, engineering force, and direct
access to a large subset of possible users.
Mitigated by their recent reticence to start or release projects publicly, coupled by an online advertising focus (which limits
range of viable solutions somewhat), and likely severe internal competition and probably some cultural dynamics that would
represent severe friction.  You'd have to be arrogant to think you would be able to get internal momentum around your ideas for
a new product area, but there you are.  ;-)

Power and pain, same old story, but a better story than Microsoft's death spiral and of a different flavor, for good and bad
reasons, from Apple or IBM or Amazon.

I want to grow something independently.  The question is, assuming that it actually goes anywhere, and that it doesn't manage to
grow large enough fast enough to be too big to buy, who would you rather your venture (and you for a time) be purchased by?