[FoRK] what the hell, facebook

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 20 09:54:04 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org>wrote:

> It's not for no reason, it's out of their own personal insecurities.
> People shit on things they are afraid of.[sic]
>
> http://www.fastcompany.com/**3012572/dialed/how-frank-**
> ocean-warren-buffett-and-**other-badasses-deal-with-soul-**sucking-haters<http://www.fastcompany.com/3012572/dialed/how-frank-ocean-warren-buffett-and-other-badasses-deal-with-soul-sucking-haters>
>
> (Can I end a sentence with a preposition?)

Yes, especially if the sentence would be clumsy or unclear if you rewrote
it to avoid the terminal preposition.

My wife (a professional tech/copy editor) explained to me that several
grammatical rules are simply wrong, being extrapolations of Latin grammar
to English instead of regularizing popular usage.  In practice, you should
probably avoid doing this if only not to troll poorly-educated grammar
police.

This category includes the famous "don't split infinitives" rule, by the
way.

Ken Meltsner