[FoRK] Server Sky - Internet and computation in orbit

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Fri Jun 21 06:40:06 PDT 2013

Why the hell didn't they just go ahead and call it SkyNet?

Whenever I see the phrase "phased array," I'm reminded of an anecdote
told me by a DOD Intelligence officer, in the early 80s.  One of USSR's
early attempts at "over the horizon" missile monitoring was a massive
truncated pyramid of phased array RADAR.

The first time the Soviets switched on the entire assembly, across
several hundred yards of adjacent plains, the grass burst into flames.

Ever since, I've presumed that the most powerful energy weapons will be,
at their heart, phased array... something or other.  If the plan is to
paint Earth's surface with "tens of thousands of thinsats" -- with their
own power -- why not just pop in some offensive capabilities, and an
alternate targeting system?  Think of the savings:  2.0 projects for the
price of 1.1.

Again: why the hell didn't they just go ahead and call it SkyNet?

GS

Gary Stock                                        gstock at nexcerpt.com
Nexcerpt            http://www.nexcerpt.com/      269.350.3573 direct