[FoRK] exactly how much privacy should we have?

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 10:34:57 PDT 2013

One of the many elephants in the room on this issue has nothing to do with
"Them"/The Gov/aka Generalismo El Guapo recording and analyzing every bit
you move on the intertubes (or indeed every image of you in meatspace via
cams and every sound you utter via sound waves push out of your pie hole)
 but also commercial interests having that same access to data and traffic
patterns for one of a number of reasons most of which monetize the product
of me  in such a way that the product of me is devalued.

Only examples but clearly examples that we think about from time to
time....
-Insurance companies upping the pavements you have to make "for your own
saftey"
-Online retailers being able to mark up your quoited prices based  on a
plethora of past purchases.
-Lawyers with dreams of making rain up in this join  with mad billables
sending out litigious threats based on traffic patterns
etc etc etc

Not to belittle .GOV playing Big Brother and in some nation states using
the bounty of this grand experiment in bit mangling we call the internet to
imprison and possibly kill those who dissent...those are very real
concerns....but also...that whole other thing I mentioned above.

Plain text kills....srsly.

-tom(insert  encrypted slogan here)