[FoRK] Non-speech, non-keyboard direct communications will create a new class of humans

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jun 23 17:12:03 PDT 2013

Technical people and techno-savvy consumers already communicate differently than non-technical people, but it is somewhat
constrained.
What happens when one or more methods of fast, accurate, digital friendly communications channels are easily used in an
always-there fashion?
What are the social consequences of a certain subset invisibly communicating, a la telepathy, with each other and others not
present?  What if this communications happens at speeds not constrained by the mechanics of speech, typing, and drawing?  How
many multiples of 1x comm modes will we reach?

Many of us think, at least at times, much faster than we can communicate.  At the moment, we can only leverage and communicate
stored information in external ways.  We could probably communicate several times faster, plus boost that with shorthand and
keyword-like inclusion of packets of existing knowledge.  Given a much better visualization and representation method, we should
be able to communicate a lot of information quickly in an absorbable way.

As soon as we can communicate quietly and probably secretly, we can more easily and quickly leverage large stores of internal
and external information.  And what will be the rules about running and following an AI representation of a knowledge base to
help with decision making or to supply relevant "unbiased" information?  Your grandfather's wisdom?  Your party leader's?  CEO?
Girlfriend/boyfriend?

Hard to argue against this being good overall, but I suspect a lot of angst and confusion.  Things like tests will require
special handling.