[FoRK] Your prediction, please

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 24 11:27:46 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org>wrote:

> On 6/24/2013 10:53 AM, Ken Meltsner wrote:
>
>> Relatively accurate predictions might be possible if we can break down the
>> target into more manageable chunks:
>>
>> * First commercial "Google is my co-pilot" capability -- I think it's a
>> toss-up whether this goes into high-usage environment (long-distance
>> trucking) or high-value (police?).
>>

> ...or self-guided narco-sub-based oceanographic, trans-continental
> shipping and  transportation systems.

Definitely high-value.  And heck, if you can deliver drugs that way, you
can also deliver not-fun stuff.

Donald Kingsbury's "Moon Goddess and the Son" had some students convert a
Piper Cub into a primitive cruise missile by adding GPS, etc.  And they
didn't have to worry about the difficulties of automating landings.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Moon-Goddess-Donald-Kingsbury/dp/0671559583

Not a great novel (unlike his "Courtship Rite") but some interesting
technology.

Ken