[FoRK] Your prediction, please

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jun 24 13:36:19 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 02:42:38PM -0700, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> Once the laws are in place and production cost drops, then the
> *bottom* end of the self-driving car market may omit the steering
> wheel and other controls just to cut costs.

There's already an incentive to remove the wheel for a
drive-by-wire (a 6DOF knob would be great) for EVs,
including dropping the drivetrain for wheel robot
(rare earthless 95% efficient in-hub motor, pretty please).

I don't see why you can't build a 200-300 kg car
for 10 kUSD that way. The drive-by-wire bit would
make drive assist really easy to do.

Of course, same thing as in small aircraft: licensing
issues from hell.