[FoRK] Your prediction, please

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jun 24 15:11:25 PDT 2013

On 6/24/13 1:36 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 02:42:38PM -0700, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
>
>> Once the laws are in place and production cost drops, then the
>> *bottom* end of the self-driving car market may omit the steering
>> wheel and other controls just to cut costs.
> There's already an incentive to remove the wheel for a
> drive-by-wire (a 6DOF knob would be great) for EVs,
> including dropping the drivetrain for wheel robot
> (rare earthless 95% efficient in-hub motor, pretty please).
>
> I don't see why you can't build a 200-300 kg car
> for 10 kUSD that way. The drive-by-wire bit would
> make drive assist really easy to do.

You've got to assume that Tesla and Google have been talking.  For government contracts if nothing else.
How about a stealth "knight rider" for covert emergency transport in foreign countries?  No insurance issues there...

> Of course, same thing as in small aircraft: licensing
> issues from hell.

Both light sport aircraft and ultra-light "aircraft" show that you can get by on minimal regulation and overhead.
You can supposedly get an LSA license in a week.  You can buy an LSA aircraft for as low as $40K, probably $20K used soon.  Can't
fly at night or take more than one passenger, but it's a model.