[FoRK] Your prediction, please

Reese howell.r at inkworkswell.com
Tue Jun 25 10:57:40 PDT 2013

At 05:56 AM 6/25/2013, Eugen Leitl wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 08:45:05PM -0700, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
>
> > Especially if you can bake in restrictions on where the driverless
> > car can go -- and constant monitoring.
>
>There's a fatal accident with a robot car involved.
>Who's going to pony up for damages? Too many parties
>which will keep pointing fingers at each other.

The robocar's black box - and readings from its various sensors and
they will be considerable, will be admissible in court. Same as the
black box from aircraft is admissible in court. No more he said/she
said and invented memories or perjury on the witless stand. On the
plus side, "expert witnesses" and 'accident scene analysis by experts'
may finally pass out of vogue. Oh but the negatives though...

Parental monitoring of juveniles including blacklisting destinations,
scales up effortlessly. Citizen Unit THX 1138? Currently alone in a
transport, redirect it to the nearest education resort. Or to a high
speed, fiery collision in a very iRoboty, V.I.K.I. sort of way - with
perhaps a wee spot of help from a black ops drone operator several
states away.

Reese