[FoRK] Your prediction, please

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jun 25 16:39:42 PDT 2013

> On 6/25/2013 10:02 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>> 22 years for something that already works well enough to deploy now (as
>> long as it shuts down if it can't handle snow)?
>
> Ice truckers?
>
> Tis my answer and I'm sticking to it.
>

>>> 1995:  Pennsylvania Ave., Washington DC.
>>

> No, in the year 1995,  the city of DC banned all human drivers within
> that small urban core, except for police and emergency responders.

What small urban core are you talking about?  The front and back of the
White House and the Capital are the only things I can think of that fit
that, and those are a block each.

DC is fairly evenly distributed with embassies, government buildings of
all types obvious and not, and popular hangouts, museums, businesses,
and monuments.

The only time more is closed down is for certain festivals, street
events, highly contentious meetings, and known massive protests. Most of
those are practical, and as far as I can tell.  DC Park Police, as they
are known, excel in non-violent handling of stressful and potentially
overwhelming situations.  Not perfect, but better than the Davis campus
police.