[FoRK] Non-speech, non-keyboard direct communications will create a new class of humans

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jun 26 02:55:59 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 09:06:28PM -0700, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> A lot of stuff pops into my head continuously but it is half-baked. Fully
> baked ideas emerge at a much slower rate and those are the more valuable
> ideas.

I think ability to pipe in text into visual processing equivalent to
hyperspeed jabber could be useful for cooperation where pingpong
turnaround matters.

Many people can learn to process textual information visually at
very high speed, and even very rapid talkers are limited by
the physics of their voicebox.

It would be a boost, but not a giant one.

You can do something like that with a HUD with eye tracker (to
select communication targets) and being very good with Twiddler,
or subvocalization.

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~thad/p/030_10_MTE/twiddler-iswc.pdf

Abstract

Previously we demonstrated that after 400 minutes of
practice, ten novices averaged over 26 words per minute
(wpm) for text entry on the Twiddler one–handed chording
keyboard, outperforming the multi–tap mobile text entry
standard. Here we present a study that examines expert
chording performance. Our five participants achieved an
average rate of 47 wpm after approximately 25 hours of
practice in varying conditions. One subject achieved a rate
of 67 wpm, equivalent to the typing rate of the last author
who has been a Twiddler user for ten years. We analyze
the effects of learning on various aspects of chording,
provide evidence that lack of visual feedback does not hinder
expert typing speed and examine the potential use of multi–
character chords (MCCs) to increase text entry speed.