[FoRK] Non-speech, non-keyboard direct communications will create a new class of humans

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jun 27 15:24:10 PDT 2013

On 6/27/13 1:06 PM, Gary Stock wrote:

> On 6/24/13 2:15 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>> Few things are more frustrating than being the subject matter expert
>> and having to entertain a dozen half-baked ideas that ignore
>> elementary literature on the subject.
> I can think of one thing more frustrating:  working on novel solutions
> with a subject matter expert who views the elementary literature as
> infallible ;-)

Furthermore, over familiarity and over confidence in elementary
literature on a subject almost inevitably leads to overconstrained
exploration, innovation, manifield crosspolination, etc.  While there is
a high likelihood that someone with non-traditional education and
uncertain awareness of the underpinnings of a field is too ignorant to
add to a field, it is also true that few formally educated successfully
venture outside of the truth cone of their mentors.

The outsider mapping of crackpot to genius spectrum plays out
differently for different fields, with some fields having almost no
outsider geniuses while others have a high percentage.