[FoRK] white hat pwn

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jun 30 03:34:09 PDT 2013

First, the Chrome remote desktop sharing works great.  I assume it also works for Chromebooks which is probably whey they needed it.

Second, a Chromebook is probably the way to go for a new device. The pixel is awesome, Mac-level touchpad and gestures (scrolling!)
which beats every PC I've tried lately, but perhaps expensive.  HP has a new Chromebook for $399.

The Chromebook has zero maintenance in most ways, is easy to operate, and easy to find and run apps etc.  Startup and WiFi
connections are instant, Verizon takes about 5 seconds.

The range of apps is interesting, including several services that support remote use of Microsoft Apps and other things via cloud
VMs.  These are getting slick.
A lot more runs locally.  Someone noticed that Chrome beta now has Word and Excel editing built in to the browser, expected to be in
the Chromebook shortly.

The other option might be an Android tablet with docking keyboard.  Some of those are essentially laptop form factors.

Stephen