[FoRK] Fwd: [IP] What It’s Like to Get a National-Security Letter

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Mon Jul 1 08:58:19 PDT 2013

On 7/1/2013 7:23 AM, David Edmondson wrote:

> Sure the bits between you and xent.com were encrypted, but you don't
> have assurance that they couldn't be trivially decrypted by someone at
> xent.com, or someone who could mess with xent.com's DNS records, or ...
>
> Then the messages are un-encrypted whilst at rest on the xent.com
> disks. Then they are un-encrypted whilst at rest on the recipients
> machine.

I did a security audit of xent.com.  I can't figure out if I've
configured it right.  Can you ssh into it and check the configuration
for me?  The root password is 30ne43ad.

But also I'm worried that if we encrypt all the data at rest for all the
messages, they won't get search indexed properly.

Greg