[FoRK] GPG/PGP for MS-Outlook - Suspicious absence of options

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jul 1 09:40:00 PDT 2013

How can you use Outlook for anything serious?  It is a broken toy of an email client.  And Exchange! Expensive, resource hog,
fragile email storage (I've heard corruption horror stories for years).

When used with Office365.com email service, even calendaring barely works.  Something basic like "share my calendar with the
company" doesn't exist.  Quite a bad contrast with Gmail.  I'm perfectly fine with using a web interface for all calendar editing,
receiving email alerts with working URLs (something Exchange/Office365 has trouble with).  There's no fundamental reason that
calendaring and email have to be combined and intermingled.

For GPG integration, how about:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/enigmail/
Calendaring can be added on, with easy support for Gmail, plugin support for Exchange style, and a number of open source and
commercial calendar servers.

Recently I considered non-Exchange self-hosted email / calendar alternatives.  Standard open source solutions completely solve the
MTA (Postfix, perhaps sendmail), Imap4 (dovecot, etc.), and email client (Thunderbird, Roundcube for web email).  It appears that
Bedework will probably be the leading calendar server, however it isn't a standard installed thing yet.

This product nicely leverages standard Linux email systems, ties it all together with installation and management, and adds
proprietary calendar support, with available Outlook integration. They have a free package without Outlook integration, pay with it,
which is a nice enough split.

http://www.blue-mind.net/spip.php?page=sommaire&lang=en
http://www.blue-mind.net/community/blue-mind-install/
http://www.blue-mind.net/solutions-15/article/professional-solution

For calendaring components, I narrowed down to these:
http://cleansofts.org/ical4ol.html
http://ical.gutentag.ch/
http://afs.berkeley.edu/user/p/n/pnfisher/pres/calagenda-ng-2/#%281%29
https://wiki.jasig.org/display/BWK38/Features+of+Bedework
http://www.calconnect.org/
http://www.openprotect.com/
http://frams.bitdefender.com/index.php
http://spamassassin.apache.org/
http://www.caronteantispam.com/

For a completely free email / calendar stack, except probably for anti-spam service, I put together this recently as a tentative list:

Given a Linux VM, installing a local email server on Linux:

 1. SMTP / Imap4 configuration: 1-2 hours.
 2. Webmail: 1 hour.
 3. Calendar server: 1-4 hours.  Or use web calendaring service with no setup time.
 4. Best Anti-spam install: 1-2 hours.  $0-1000
 5. Reliable backup (via rsync to a spare local directory plus remote to another server): 1 hour.

Some anti-spam options are free, others cost up to $1000/yr. and are easier to install.
Once installed, the VM can be imaged to prevent ever needing reinstall.

Scalable, easily backed up, and secure email on Linux is trivial: Postfix (MTA) + Dovecot (Imap4+indexing) is easy to install, can
use any amount of storage, and because of intelligent Imap4 indexing, handles tens of thousands of messages per folder and thousands
of folders easily for any Imap4 client.  I have always found it to be faster than Exchange servers.

Roundcube seems to be the best web mail client:
http://roundcube.net/screens

Anti-spam, virus scanning, phishing defeat can be handled by free and commercial systems, some of which are listed below.  A
complete service can be had for $1000/yr. including a prebuilt VM that is easy to insert.

Bedework appears to be the widely used and ideal calendar server software.  Note that it seems to have far more features and be far
more flexible than Exchange for calendaring activities.
https://wiki.jasig.org/display/BWK38/Features+of+Bedework

Used by Berkeley and many others:
http://afs.berkeley.edu/user/p/n/pnfisher/pres/calagenda-ng-2/#%281%29

For those that insist on using Outlook, this plugin, at $23 per license, supports calendar integration in Outlook for all of these
calendar sources:
http://ical.gutentag.ch/
Supported are (alphabetical):
AllConnected4, Atmail^2 , Baikal^12 , Bedework^1 , Citadel^12 ,
Chandler Cosmo^1 , Communigate Pro^1 , Darwin CalendarServer^12 , DAViCal^12 , EPL^12 , EGroupware^12 , Fruux^12 , Google Calendar &
Tasks <http://ical.gutentag.ch/Outlook-Google-Synchronization%20by%20iCal4OL.html>^1 , Gmail Contacts
<http://ical.gutentag.ch/forum/viewtopic.php?id=42>^2 , GroupOffice Prof^12 , Horde^12 , IceWarp^12 , iCloud
<http://ical.gutentag.ch/Outlook-iCloud-Synchronisation-mittels-iCal4OL.html>^12 , Infomaniak
<http://ical.gutentag.ch/forum/viewtopic.php?id=501>^12 , Kerio^12 , maXvis^2 , Office2s, OpenXchange^2 , Oracle Convergence,
Owncloud^(1)2 , Posteo^2 , Scalix, SmarterMail^2 , SnapAppointments, SOGo^12 , Synology, Terminland.de, Tine
<http://ical.gutentag.ch/forum/viewtopic.php?id=459>^2 , Tobit David.fx-Server 11, WebCalendar (only^1.05), Yahoo^12 , Zarafa^1 and
Zimbra^12 .

Why wouldn't we use Exchange Server?

 1. Slow
 2. Unreliable
 3. Tends to lead to limited storage, probably due to using a relational database for email storage.
 4. Non-standard email and some mangling of messages.
 5. Difficult to backup, restore, and recover from problems. Probably requires an expensive add-on for proper backup.
 6. Requires a lot of effort to install and maintain.
 7. Expense for server, client licenses, and related services.
 8. Have to run on a Windows server rather than Linux.  This requires another expensive license, more installation and maintenance
    time, requires time consuming OS updates and maintenance, etc.

sdw