[FoRK] Fwd: Doug Englebart

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Wed Jul 3 11:39:32 PDT 2013

I saw Doug Englebart talk once.  It was either at the WWW/4/5 or at the
WWW6 conference in 1997 in Santa Clara. Incidentally that was the same
conference where Bob Metcalfe promised to eat his words next time or
actually did.

Englebart was invited to give the mother of all demos.  He had an
interactive slide that let you hyperlink between all the research
subjects in his life and let him talk about them.  It kind of looked
like Prezi.  After covering a good amount of subjects, he asked how much
time he had, clearly tired of talking and running out of material.
Rather than tell him, the organizers kept telling him to take as much
time as he wanted.  After about the 3rd time of covering more and more
and hearing the same answer, he finally said he was going to stop there.
  He was a great speaker, but I learned that all great speakers know
their audience, know their material, and know their time limit.  The
open ended time threw him for a loop.

Greg