[FoRK] Microsoft acronym help needed

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jul 7 13:33:55 PDT 2013

> On 7/7/2013 12:31 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>
> > When I pointed out that someone should check errors in the build .bat file (!) so that it stops at the error, they objected
> since checking errors would make it 3x longer.  Which is why, I pointed out that I had already pointed out, that they should
> have used make since make checks the status of every command run and stops on errors...
>
> Wow. That's pretty terrible on several levels.
>
> >> Are you afraid I'm going to deploy Windows 3.0 somewhere?
> > Hah, you'd have to find an RLL or MFM hard drive somewhere.
>
> Oh, I'm sure that's not true. Windows 3.0 (or really DOS of that era, DOS 3.1) ran on PS/2 computers using IDE and SCSI.

Yep, PATA was designed in 1986 and some shipped in Compaq PCs in 1986, but it wasn't standardized until 1994.
ST-506 and ESDI hard drives were still around for a while.

Maybe I'm conflating Win3.1 with DOS 3.1.  Win3.0 was cooperative multitasking (and multicrashing) only, so I place it in the
old-DOS mental bucket.

Win 3.0 came out in 1990 and 3.1 in 1992 according to Wikipedia.

SCSI was rare for a long time in PCs, although I used it as early as I could.  Full-height 5.25" drives were usually SCSI.