[FoRK] ridiculous project

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Mon Jul 8 02:47:30 PDT 2013

It was thus said that the Great Eugen Leitl once stated:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 10:02:45AM +0100, Andy Armstrong wrote:
>
> > AFAICR 6809s were stupidly expensive compared with the others, particularly 6502.
>
> Anyone remembers Dragons? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_32/64

  Yes, but only because I used the US equivalent, the Radio Shack Color
Computer.

> > Z80 and 8080 were nasty in the same way modern Intel architectures are.
> >
> > 6502 was cheap and nice. I think that's engineering.

  The original Apple had a jumper one could set to use either a 6502 or a
6800 (at the time of the design, both chips were approximately the same
price).  But somehow, the chaps at Apple were able to score a large number
of 6502 chips at insanely low prices ...

> Not a bad chip at all.

  Eh, I was never impressed with it.  Especially compared to the 6809.  But
then again, I never had to buy a lot of chips so the price point was lost on
me.

> Z80 was a monstrosity, especially
> for hand-rolled assembly.

  -spc (But at least it didn't have segment registers ... )