[FoRK] ridiculous project

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Mon Jul 8 04:22:00 PDT 2013

On 8 Jul 2013, at 10:33, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 10:02:45AM +0100, Andy Armstrong wrote:
>
>> AFAICR 6809s were stupidly expensive compared with the others, particularly 6502.
>
> Anyone remembers Dragons? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_32/64

I think that all happened once Motorola realised they had to make the 6809 a bit more cost competitive. And, yes, I remember them (worked in a computer store back then…)

>> Z80 and 8080 were nasty in the same way modern Intel architectures are.
>>
>> 6502 was cheap and nice. I think that's engineering.
>
> Not a bad chip at all. Z80 was a monstrosity, especially
> for hand-rolled assembly.

It may be apocryphal - but I heard that the instruction set was particularly patchy because some instructions wouldn't work on the first ones they built - so they just undocumented them.

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten