[FoRK] ridiculous project

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jul 8 08:35:11 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 06:17:24AM -0700, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> I picked the 8080 because it's what I first programmed (IMSAI 8080).

Ok, now we get it.

> If you want, pretend I said 6800 or 6502. Anything available in
> 1974/1975. No, you can't pick the 6809 because that came years
> later.

Saturation of Moore makes architecture relevant again. You no
longer can throw transistors at it.

Right now we're getting a future where people can buy
a tiny sliver of hardware designed for exascale (souped up
ARM/GPU with stacked memory). While not bad, I'd rather
have cellular hardware, especially runtime reconfigurable
(on the Parallella or ZedBoard you can dump the bitstring
within 85 ms http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/06/04/1 ).

Ideally, I want runtime-reconfigurable spintronics. More
ideally, 3d stacked with TSV. Most ideally, a 3d spin lattice.