[FoRK] Anyone know if EC2 takes a while to flex the CPU speed up

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Tue Jul 16 09:54:19 PDT 2013

On 16 Jul 2013, at 15:51, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:
> What type of instance is it?  Is the workload io intensive?

Seems to be an m1.xlarge.

And the workload is multiple ffmpeg based h264 encodes (no GPU acceleration) - the step change in workload typically being a switch from a static image to video with a lot of movement. When that happens I see about 30 seconds of thundering herd and then it settles down. Not seeing that behaviour on a physical box.

Fairly low bitrates (~3Mb/s total) so it's not I/O bound.

However, running this when it's cold doesn't show any measurable warming up effect:

$ while sleep 1; do time perl -e 'next for 1..100_000_000'; done

Shrug.

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten