[FoRK] What do you think of my http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/24/google-chromecast/

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jul 25 08:53:11 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org>wrote:

> You've absolutely pegged it.  Moving furniture around and getting rid of
> heavy old things was the biggest part of the issue.
>
> As to quirks, we get HD channels.  The tv box has 6 different resolution
> settings and 3 different apsects, the tv has 5 different resolution
> settings and 3 different aspets.  I have to keep the tv remote around to
> change the apsect on the tv for some channels and back for others. It's all
> very strange.  Why doesn't it just fn work?

You know, I hear this a lot about computers in general.

I'm sure there's a good technical reason (lack of metadata tagging aspect
ratio in digital TV content, for example) which is absolutely wrong from a
human point of view.   But yes, we have exactly the same problem.

It would be somewhat easier if remote commands were standardized (no need
for fancy soft-button remote controls) and externally documented.  Good use
for an old smartphone, though.

The mount I used:
http://www.sanus.com/ap/en/products/visionmount/full-motion-mount/VMAA26

Around $300-350 today.