[FoRK] What do you think of my http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/24/google-chromecast/

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jul 25 09:37:23 PDT 2013

> On 7/24/2013 10:54 PM, Ken Meltsner wrote:
>> didn't miss the boat.  Everything was a byte-stream file so you didn't need
>> to force extensions.
>
> Well then, they should have enforced a app mapping based on the first four bytes. Shebang was a weak implementation of that.
>
> Not casting blame -- hindsight is very cheap. But if only...

I used VaxOS, some embedded DEC OS (RSTos etc.?), CPM and MPM8/16, DOS, Win1, and Version 7 Unix all at once.  (Nobody from that
era seems to exist anymore, or they are hiding from the Internet.  It is very strange.  It was only 29 years ago.)  Then a short
time later SysV5.2.  The VAX was awful in just about every way.  Super slow to start a process, terrible scripting language
(terrible subshell support, etc.), the file format/typing/conversion thing was a pain all the time, etc.  The verbose command
arguments were incomplete, not well thought out, and a terrible pain.

Unix was immediately recognizable as a consistent, simple, powerful, fast, fun environment.  There was no comparison.
Everything was instant.  You could figure things out by experimenting, looking around, and reading a few online man pages.
Pretty much the definition of an ideal environment, even then.