[FoRK] What do you think of my http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/24/google-chromecast/

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jul 25 09:43:29 PDT 2013

On 7/25/13 8:53 AM, Ken Meltsner wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org>wrote:
>
>> You've absolutely pegged it.  Moving furniture around and getting rid of
>> heavy old things was the biggest part of the issue.
>>
>> As to quirks, we get HD channels.  The tv box has 6 different resolution
>> settings and 3 different apsects, the tv has 5 different resolution
>> settings and 3 different aspets.  I have to keep the tv remote around to
>> change the apsect on the tv for some channels and back for others. It's all
>> very strange.  Why doesn't it just fn work?
>>
> You know, I hear this a lot about computers in general.
>
> I'm sure there's a good technical reason (lack of metadata tagging aspect
> ratio in digital TV content, for example) which is absolutely wrong from a
> human point of view.   But yes, we have exactly the same problem.

Between the Sony 55" and DirectTV running through the Denon video switcher / receiver, I managed a configuration that always
uses the highest resolution and maps everything else to that well.  We never switch resolutions or format now.  DirectTV has a
mode to map older formats and maintain a consistent output mode.