[FoRK] What do you think of myhttp://techcrunch.com/2013/07/24/google-chromecast/

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 25 13:07:32 PDT 2013

> Between the Sony 55" and DirectTV running through the Denon video switcher
> / receiver, I managed a configuration that always uses the highest
> resolution and maps everything else to that well.  We never switch
> resolutions or format now.  DirectTV has a mode to map older formats and
> maintain a consistent output mode.

Something Tivo has been doing since the day they shipped their HD-capable
units.  Lock the output to a given resolution and the Tivo would
automagically re-scale it accordingly.  Heck, they even support downrezzing
from HD out the S-video output.  Used one that way for quite a while with an
old 32" CRT TV in the bedroom.   That and they've got a simple zoom/aspect
button the remote that handles swapping the aspect ratios around to either
stretch or zoom a signal to eliminate side/top bars if present.

-Bill