[FoRK] DEC in the past; was Re: What do you think of my

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jul 26 01:30:41 PDT 2013

> On 07/25/2013 01:14 PM, Marty Halvorson wrote:
>> Stephen Williams wrote:
>> "The VAX was awful in just about every way."
>
> VMS was harder to use but it was a lot more bulletproof than Unix of that era. It was not hard to accidentally crash 4.2 BSD with
> a poorly written program. I know this because I did it a few times.

Unix wasn't really bulletproof until Linux was built and eventually cleaned up and hardened.
About 5 years ago I was shocked that a Solaris system would (STILL!) panic if I popped out a DVD/CDROM when it was mounted.
Linux will note all kinds of things failing, including corrupted memory from bad bits, hard drives that have died, etc., and just
keep running anyway, making things read-only as needed to prevent further damage.  Several times I've been able to do something
useful on a mostly dead system.

The kernel structure magic cookie checking was one of the best moves they made.