[FoRK] DEC in the past; was Re: What do you think of my

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jul 26 01:35:46 PDT 2013

On 7/25/13 1:14 PM, Marty Halvorson wrote:
> Stephen Williams wrote:
> "The VAX was awful in just about every way."
>
> I worked for DEC for 12 years starting in 1980.  VAX wasn't terrible.  All you really needed was a good programmable editor which
> came with VAX VMS and all was

EDT?  It was nothing compared to the 3-4 alternative versions of Emacs I was using on Unix systems at the time.  The keypad editing
wasn't that great, gold etc.
I never saw anything better on Vaxen, but I was doing embedded machine control, so I didn't spend much time on the Vax.

> good. Ultrix wasn't really very good.  But DEC being DEC anyone could and did do their own thing, all you needed was someone to
> put up the money for whatever it was you wanted to do.  And that someone didn't have to be in your management chain.  We got money
> from memory, terminal, micro processor, and research and development management.  Most of the time we were in the terminal
> management chain.  We invented (got a patent for) what came to be called video memory where the memory chip could read an entire
> line into an on-chip serial output register.  That came about because we wanted to do real time visualization of modeling data.
> Lots of fun stuff.
>
> I should also note that the chief architect of VAX VMS was also the chief architect of one of the very early versions of Windows.
> I forget his name (Dave ???), but I think it was Windows for Work Groups.

He was apparently good at OS algorithms, but most of the most obvious OS architecture choices were wrong for both VMS and Windows.