[FoRK] Skype == Malware?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Aug 26 12:06:46 PDT 2013

On 8/26/13 9:27 AM, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
> P.S. Sorry that wasn't very helpful. Is there anything more to
> "Backtrace suspected of leaking"? Well... probably just leads to some
> semaphore allocation syscall.
>
> It appears that someone or something is leaking semaphores (which
> require kernel memory).
>
> Start a cron job that kills skype every night at 2AM?
>
> Not very familiar with Apple's variant of Mach, but is there some way
> of listing who owns how many semaphores or other kernel resources?
>
> obplot: Apple doesn't want you running Microsoft's video software.

Isn't it much more clearly an apparent/potential case of Microsoft not
wanting you to think MacOSX doesn't crash?  Handicapping the competitor
with an app that most people have.  More likely to be incompetence
injection, but you have to wonder.  After about 5 years of almost never
crashing / locking up, my machine has to be manually power cycled every
day or two.

Apple should release an update that puts up a big, nasty warning message
that Microsoft Skype has maliciously leaked 2000 semaphores in the last
12 hours (or whatever it is), click here to dislike...