[FoRK] [fonc] Final STEP progress report abandoned?

Chris Warburton chriswarbo at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 5 11:49:13 PDT 2013

John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sep 5, 2013 11:57 AM, "David Barbour" <dmbarbour at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM, John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Has anyone done research on improving programs?  I know of some where
> you try to find bugs in programs.  What about actually detecting and
> replacing or improving algorithms?
>>
>> Juergen's work on the Goedel machine seems related.
>
> I had stumbled upon Juergen's page a few years ago.  Thanks for the
> reminder.  I'm still trying to figure out how to apply it.

His more-recent PowerPlay system is a bit more practical; it's like a
Goedel machine but applies improvements as soon as they're shown to
solve a previously-unsolvable problem; it doesn't bother with universal
optimality.

It's been applied to neural networks so far, but I think it would be
useful to apply to a theorem prover: generate theorems you can't prove,
along with improved search procedures which can prove them.

Cheers,
Chris