[FoRK] Why do political and economic leaders deny Peak Oil and Climate Change? (Eugen Leitl)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Sep 8 05:09:43 PDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 06:47:21PM -0400, Randall Webmail wrote:
> From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
>

> >> Given what's happening with natural gas and tracking, that doesn't seem so unlikely.
>
> >Looking at recent data, the fracking era is already over, barely after it began.
>
> Are you aware of the fact that hydraulic fracking has been nigh-ubiquitous for at least forty years?

Yes, I'm aware that fracking is not new, but the unprecedented drilling
rate is new, and the dropping returns on effort are very new.

So not just net energy is dropping due to dropping EROEI, the
liquid volume yield/effort is dropping. This is the novel piece of
bad news. I'm really really interested in how fast the coal EROEI
drops, and I genuinely hope it's not dropping as fast as tight oil and gas.

It's a real pity The Oil Drum has shut down with no single stop
shop left, as it was a great source of up-to-date data you could't
get from the horse's mouth. Now one has to scrounge around, and I
don't really have time for that.  Despite all appearances to the contrary ;)