[FoRK] Why do political and economic leaders deny Peak Oil and Climate Change? (Eugen Leitl)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Sep 8 08:09:59 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 07:46:45AM -0700, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
> I still think the Bermuda Triangle holds the secret to all our
> energy needs.
>
> http://www.centreforenergy.com/AboutEnergy/ONG/GasHydrates/Overview.asp?page=1

Had high hopes for methane clathrates many years ago, until
I found out that EROEI is negligible. There's a trial in Japan
at the moment, because they're getting quite desperate, but
it's not going anywhere. It looks like an almost self-sustaining
means of mucking up a lot of shallow shelf with pumped
silt, which will fubar an already damaged ecosystem we actually
need for our food. Don't worry, that methane will be
released quite naturally due to global warming, both
in the polar-near shelf and the permafrost.

Methane clathrates could be good for synmethane (Sabatier)
storage, but we've already got natural gas infrastructure
which can buffer ~3 months worth of nation's demand, and
gasholders are cheap enough. Your limit is energy for
electrolysis and infrastructure for electrolysis and
synfuel fabrication. The good news is that it can scale
down to single home installation size, though most will
be larger units.