[FoRK] Why do political and economic leaders deny Peak Oil and Climate Change? (Eugen Leitl)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Sep 8 23:39:58 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 11:11:49AM -0700, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
> Going down the list, opinions on green crude?  It's still my

Biofuels from algae? Theoretically feasible, but there are
a number of show stoppers (researched it with a couple of
people since we considered a startup in the area, gave up).

I think photovoltaics has the advantage of much higher
efficiency, so with synfuels overall you're beating green
plants by a large margin. The roofs and fields hereabouts
are already lousy with PV panels, and the synthesis plants
themselves are not big, if decentral.

It would be interesting to see what developing electrocatalysts
for water electrolysis and methanol electrosynthesis could
achieve.