[FoRK] Why do political and economic leaders deny Peak Oil and Climate Change? (Eugen Leitl)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Sep 9 05:58:17 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 05:44:10AM -0700, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

> On 9/8/2013 11:39 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> >On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 11:11:49AM -0700, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
> >>Going down the list, opinions on green crude?  It's still my
> >
> >Biofuels from algae? Theoretically feasible, but there are
> >a number of show stoppers (researched it with a couple of
> >people since we considered a startup in the area, gave up).
> >
> How so?  I think there's at least 3 companies on the verge of
> solving the mass production/scalability problem.

It didn't make sense to us, as multiple companies working
for three decades have spent two-digit have not managed to
do it. They've been on the verge on a very long time.

You need a lot of money in already the first round, that
was not feasible for our environment. Yours might differ.

The problem is more difficult than it may appear. In order
to produce just liquid fuels, closed bioreactors are out
of question, so you're operating in an open system, and
competing against wild type. Energy-efficient harvesting and
liquid separation are *not* easy, assuming you have a
stable high-yield type in an open system at all.

This doesn't apply to pharma/cosmetics, and sufficiently
high-priced educts for chemical industry.

So it's not hopeless, but you'd get much more traction
by just feeding a synfuel plant with PV input.