[FoRK] Why do political and economic leaders deny Peak Oil and Climate Change? (Eugen Leitl)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Sep 9 06:26:49 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 06:11:17AM -0700, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
> Oh, I mistook your specific decision to not pursue it as a general
> condemnation.

It's not general. If you have a lot of money and time to
burn without accountability pressure, it's definitely interesting.

> The requirement is to have the produce work in existing refineries.

The difficulties are arising precisely before.

This is an open system, so raceway track or even eutrophicated
lagoon. No CO2 enrichment to boost photosynthesis efficiency.
You have to deal with wild-type or wild-type close strains.
You can get away with going hypersaline/high-pH, and thus
harness extremophiles which dominate such environment.

E.g., harvesting, filtering large volumes is prohibitive, so
you need to skim floaters or harvest sinkers. Good luck
dredging the lagoon. Once harvested, you need to lose a lot
of water and then crack open the cell wall with
a low effort. Centrifuging the green sludge might or might
not do the trick. Drying and solvent/supercritical CO2 extraction
appears too expensive/too much effort.

When you're there, you've got a nice hydrocarbon, but what is
the price at the spigot? Demand destuction appears at roughly
100 USD/barrel of crude. The volumes required are huge.