[FoRK] [zfs] Announcing OpenZFS

rst at ai.mit.edu rst at ai.mit.edu
Mon Sep 23 07:14:33 PDT 2013

Eugen Leitl writes:
 > On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 07:16:08PM -0400, dan at geer.org wrote:
 > >
 > >  > I'd much prefer a kilonode of ~ARM like 64 bit nodes on a low-latency=20
 > >  > n-torus.
 > >
 > > Ask Danny Hillis if he has a Connection Machine laying about.
 >
 > Not worth the electricity to run, and besides, it would
 > be a great museum piece, for the blinkenlights alone.

Depending on the model, the lights might be able to run without the
rest of the machine.  For the original, SIMD versions, they were in
fact wired directly to the processor chips (each of which had
something like 16 single-bit processors).  For the CM-5, where the
nodes were Sparc chips with attached bespoke vector processors, the
light boards were not directly wired up, and actually had their own
support processors.  There were several things that they *could*
display, but the one most often used on public appearances, IIRC,
ignored the rest of the machine; it was called "random and pleasing
lights".

(Source of the memories: I actually worked at TMC for two years, and
several summers thereafter on break from grad school.)

rst