[FoRK] Greenspun's Law and modern equivalents

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 24 12:15:25 PDT 2013

Watching a software engineer work with MS SQL server and its management
tool, I realized that, essentially, the read-eval-print loop had been
reinvented again.  The SQL database itself took the place of the Lisp
in-memory store, and each operation was used to shape the DB contents (in a
non-reproducible way) into the desired final state.  All it really needed
was an in-interpreter "dump-world" operation -- you have to go to the menus
to backup the DB.

Those who never encountered Lisp are condemned to reinvent it.

Ken

--
After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.