[FoRK] Multitasking wishlist: Control of audio channel placement based on video source, sped up video

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Oct 1 14:36:40 PDT 2013

Right now, I'd really like to have two videos playing while controlling
which audio channel (left / right ear) is used for each.  While I can
mostly disambiguate each speaker when fully mixed, it seems that it
would have less cognitive load if the audio was channelized.

Or even to map to particular 3D placement.  At Uplinq, there was an
awesome demo of 5+1 audio source placement using stereo headphones via
software simulation of 5+1 in a room.  They alternated between real 5+1
for a movie and with a test pattern and then simulated it with
headphones on a Qualcomm tablet.  You really had to take the headphones
off to prove to yourself that it wasn't coming from the same room
speakers.  Spooky good.  They perfectly matched the performance of the room.

And all video players, including TiVo and imitations should have 1.25x,
1.5x, 1.75x, and 2x speed up options, with normalized sound. Ideally,
speed should be variable based on action, pacing, and speech density.
You couldn't speed up House of Lies at all, or Newsroom, but most
sitcoms would be comfortable at 2x.  I became addicted to 1.5x using VLC
for Stanford MOOC classes.